Syspera Security will collaborate with the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) in Nigeria to host the 2021 Cybersecurity Awareness Month. October is marked globally every year as Cybersecurity Awareness Month and is a collaboration between the government and private industry to raise awareness about digital security and empower everyone to protect their personal data from digital forms of crime.
Africa cybersecurity leader, Ubong Kingsley-Udoh will be leading efforts for the event this year from Lagos. This year’s theme is titled “Do your part. #BeCyberSmart.” Ubong said, “this one-month-long event is a global effort to help everyone to stay safer and more secure online when using technology whenever and however they are connected.”
This year’s event will be hosted by Syspera Security in alliance with NITDA and the Africa Cyber Centre.
- Be wary of malicious links in messages offering a “reward” or “free gift”
- Do not verify your account in response to an unsolicited email or text by logging into a webpage or updating your credentials
- Do not click on any links – even the unsubscribe link – or reply back to the email
- A phishing scheme can also install malware onto your device
- If you are able to recognize spam or phishing emails, just delete them
- If you suspect an email is phishing for your information, it’s best to report it quickly to your IT help desk
- Only verify account information using customer service contact and website information provided in monthly statements or original account documentation